I'm having a go at the AI challenge over here it's being organized by the University of Waterloo Computer Science Club and sponsored by Google.
The task is to make a bot that can play a random game of Galcon (http://www.galcon.com/) so far my bot is doing just OK (http://ai-contest.com/profile.php?user_id=5897). I've got the core architecture sorted out and am slowly working on the correct decisions to be made based on the metrics I'm deriving from the state of play. Honestly if I finish in the top 100 I'll be ecstatic, there's some really talented guys in the competition.
Anyway they have a couple of visualizers which are nice (i.e. http://ai-contest.com/visualizer.php?game_id=5567455) but I thought what if I made a visualizer with Unity. It's a pretty good engine for doing stuff like this. So the next few posts will be me chronicling my development of a Galcon visualizer via Unity.
Download the latest zip packages here:
This is the third part to a three part tutorial on renaming objects in Maya. In the first installment we established a collection of procedures and a simple UI that allows multiple objects to be renamed. In the second installment we evolved this tool to utilize an custom sorting method and improved the UI.
The previous system for sorting while functional limited our ability to do more sophisticated renaming. We're going to address these issues and introduce a neat system for managing object lists:
- Ultimately we want to support an extended set of rename options (Prefix, Suffix, Find & Replace, exclusions) along with the standard rename and numeric incrementation
This is the second part to a three part tutorial on renaming objects in Maya. In the first installment we established a collection of procedures and a simple UI that allows multiple objects to be renamed.
Some issues were identified with the methods used previously and so in this next stage I'm going to evaluate the procedures and improve the script. Specifically this tutorial will address the following issues:
- The previous script is a handy quick renamer but doesn’t always produce unique names for all objects
- Numerical increments with good padding options
- The UI was over simplified and could be improved with more options
If you've ever done any scripting in Maya or even tried to clean up you scene a bit I'm sure you've run into some of Maya's quirks with how it handles object names. Specifically it gets real tricky when dealing with nodes that share duplicated names and renaming whole chains of nodes.
To help demystify what's going on I thought I'd run through the development of a 'rename' tool that will cover ways I've found to resolve these issues.